Interview: Alexandra Willis, Head of Digital, Comms & Content at Wimbledon
Recently I headed for my first ever visit to the All England Lawn Tennis Club, the home of the Wimbledon Championships. The most famous of the four tennis majors.
Alex has been at Wimbledon for 6 years now and during that time her team have won numerous awards for their work. With Alex herself becoming a Sport Industry NextGen Leader graduate (with honours) in 2016 and is to return as a mentor for the 2017 edition.
This was a really interesting and enjoyable chat where we talked about;
– Alex’s love of tennis, and where it came from
– Collaborating closely with broadcast and other partners
– Watching Andy Murray’s first title win
– What her job entails and what she does outside of championship time
– Working with Snapchat and how the 3 year deal with them came about
– Keeping Wimbledon innovative but still staying true to the Wimbledon brand and the tournaments heritage
– How exciting it is during the tournament and what the team looks like and gets up to
– Planing content prior to the event such as live streaming the engraving of the trophy
– The most watched video from this year being Andy Murray’s chat with Benedict Cumberbatch when he revealed how big a fan he is of Sherlock
– The history of doctors in the Willis families and how her ancestor treated Kind George’s madness!
– What they are looking at for Wimbledon 2017
If you enjoy this podcast then do take a look at previous shows on iTunes, Audioboom or Stitcher Radio. Also do leave a rating /rating on iTunes.
Thanks for listening!
You might also like
This week’s podcast guest is Neil Smythe. He has a background steeped in football video production with the likes of Soccer AM, Copa90 and The Football Republic on his CV.
Dunk Contest gets even cooler One of the most beloved parts of the NBA All Star Game is the Slam Dunk Contest. In anticipation of the contest last Friday, Bleacher
Last week, Spain’s top football league, La Liga, streamed a live game on Facebook Live. They plan to stream one game a week on the platform. The week before, it